What it's all about...

Exploring Natural Places in the Southeastern United States, Uncovering Hidden Histories, and Examining Local Mysteries

Monday, April 5, 2021

Oak Hollow Camp Ground

 


I haven't blogged in a while, I went down the ancestry research rabbit hole for a while and also have been working on home projects, focusing on building a nest for my little family. The world is still strange, political strife, and economic changes combine with the pandemic to create uncertainty and anxiety. My blog was helping me redirect my attention. It eventually took me to places of research that I had not expected. I started out hoping to write about the histories of places I'd been camping. The stories and layers of history inspired me to pick up on research I started more than a decade ago in grad school. Inspired by my work in politics I wanted to understand how populations create and spread their shared belief structures. Storytelling and myth making are at the core of most human communication and thus shape how history and even present reality are viewed. I found that as real life got to be more and more like a science fiction movie I was looking at past events and how they were communicated. I spent a lot of time recently writing things that were not really blog posts. I also started working on an online shop to sell my massive collection of oddities, vintage clothes, and accessories. (When it is live I'll let y'all know first!) 

Anyway, Spring has sprung and I finally got to go camping again! 

My sweet man is wonderfully spontaneous. One day in March in the middle of the week, it was sunny and warmer than usual and the forecast called for a week of clear skies and sun. Around lunchtime he asked me if I wanted to drive down the street to the lake and check out their campground, I said yes of course! (I already had checked it out and knew which site was the best and what the rules were but he is the kind of guy who likes to see and learn it all himself, so off we went. He had a spot in mind on the water in section C, site 19. It is a lovely site, however it is and RV site and at this campground you must have an RV to camp in the RV sections. There are only a few tent sites. We drove to the tent section. The sites are all on the lake and wooded. Each site has a wooden tent platform that is raised and has railing facing the water like a deck, and a picnic table. Some sites have grills. You have to bring your own raised fire pit if you want a fire other than the grill. He picked the spot I had in mind, site 10. The site has a grill, a beach and a large area adjacent to the tent deck and lake. It is also close to a trash can and an electrical outlet. (I'm not sure we are supposed to use the power but we did and the Rangers, who drive by regularly, never said anything about it.) He drove to the Ranger Station and paid for five days. We set up a tent with air mattresses, and our own porta potty! 

Two weeks later we did it again, for a whole week! We had some weather extremes and even left one night and drove home because of severe storms. There were freezing cold nights and days in the upper 70's. Rain, sun, fog, thunder, wind, frost, you know a normal week of North Carolina weather. 

I'm working on a YouTube channel also, OMG maybe I'm working on too much. Anyway, I'm trying to put together a video about Oak Hollow. I wrote about the lake and campground in the Go with the Flow blog. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oak Hollow Camp Ground

  I haven't blogged in a while, I went down the ancestry research rabbit hole for a while and also have been working on home projects, f...