What it's all about...

Exploring Natural Places in the Southeastern United States, Uncovering Hidden Histories, and Examining Local Mysteries

Sunday, September 20, 2020

Go Inside this Coastal South Carolina Castle

Atalaya

Huntington Beach State Park is my favorite place to camp and my favorite place to blog about! If you read my first post, you went down the rabbit hole of history with me and met the colorful cast of characters that add layers to the history of this Carolina castle. This post is meant to give you a closer look inside the beautiful castle. I searched YouTube to find the best tour to share with you because I know my pictures don't do it justice. 



This is the best video I have found of the Castle. Check it out!

My first encounter with the castle was just before dark. It was not open, so I walked around the exterior taking pictures and imagining the life of the couple who built this as their winter home. I could hear an owl in the woods. 






This is the 'front' of the home, facing out towards the ocean. The rooms on the front from left to right are; the Huntington's bedroom, the secretary's room, the library, the sunroom, the breakfast room, the dining room, a food service room, and the staff's living room. Sitting on that patio I could hear the ocean waves.



This side of the home had storage and utility rooms on the outside and staff rooms on the inside. Each staff room has a fireplace and a window looking out to the courtyard. The parts of the structure on the right side of this picture are the laundry and cold storage. 



This is in the outer courtyard at the entrance. To the left were garages and an oyster shucking room and to the right animal enclosures for the dogs, horses, and bears. Click here to read my DETAILED blog about Huntington State Park.



My mom standing with one of many giant palm trees in the inner courtyard. The water tower for which the castle is named is in the background. An extreme animal lover, Mrs. Huntington had 'bat holes' installed so the bats could roost inside the tower.



Ivy growing on a wall in the courtyard.



 Mrs. Huntington designed the signature turquoise wrought iron.




Inside the brick is exposed and cracked in places from years of settling.




Most of the windows no longer have glass in them.




I saw a bat snuggled up taking a snooze in the secretary's closet.

Make a reservation today to camp in beautiful South Carolina paradise beside the Atlantic Ocean, and check out this Castle for yourself. If you want to know more about the Huntington's check out my blog post.



























No comments:

Post a Comment

Oak Hollow Camp Ground

  I haven't blogged in a while, I went down the ancestry research rabbit hole for a while and also have been working on home projects, f...